Direct care roles

Occupational therapist

You will work with people with physical, mental or social disabilities to help them do everyday activities. You will spend time with individuals to find out what they usually do in their day to day life and any challenges they face. Helping them find ways to overcome these challenges.

You can find more about the OT role and entry requirements in Allied Health Care Professional’s Module.

Registered Nurse

As a registered nurse you will perform clinical and healthcare tasks to people in a nursing home or in the community. There are also different areas nurses in adult social care will usually work:

  • Acute, general or elderly nursing that involves providing nursing care for adults and elderly people who are ill, injured or who have physical disabilities.
  • Learning disability nursing that involved working with people who have learning disabilities to help them become as independent as possible.
  • Community psychiatric nursing that helps people with mental health conditions such as personality disorders, neurosis, phobias, acute anxiety, alcohol dependency, depression and eating disorders.

You can find more about Nursing, and entry requirements in the Nursing and Midwifery Module

Social Worker

Social workers in care offer counselling and advocacy to individuals and families, and intervene when vulnerable people need safeguarding. There are a wide range of individuals you could be supporting from older people, those with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and mental health conditions such as people with depression, anxiety, schizophrenia and personality disorders. The care and support that is provided is usually short term assisting the person to adjust to the changes they may have faced.

**Please note that these three roles (Occupational Therapist, Registered Nurse and Social Worker) are regulated professional roles in which you will need to hold professional registration and degrees from higher education institutes to work in these direct care roles.** 

Complementary therapist

Complementary therapists provide complementary therapies such as reflexology, massage and aromatherapy to people who may be experiencing emotional distress, pain or psychological issues. You could work in a care home, health centre, hospice or in someone’s home.

Activities Co-ordinator

Activities workers are usually based in care homes or day centres, but you could also work in someone’s home or the community. Activities workers organise social activities for people who need care and support, they may also assist the person to help them to take part.

Care Worker

A care worker will support people with all aspects of their day to day living, including social and physical activities, personal care such as washing & dressing, with mobility and meal times. They can work in a care home, in people’s own homes or in the community. Care workers who work in the community can also be known as domiciliary carers.

Rehabilitation worker

You’ll support people to live independently, often following an illness or accident, and help them access support with housing, finance, social activities and life skills such as cooking or budgeting.

Your role might include:

  • carrying out assessments within the community to identify what care and support people need
  • working with other professionals such as social workers and occupational therapists to make sure people get the right help
  • providing advice about how to use specialist equipment
  • teaching people daily life skills such as making a cup of tea, or reading braille
  • organising activities such as sports, drama and educational activities.