C1 Licence

A C1 licence is a category on your licence that entitles you to drive larger vehicles. In the ambulance service the vehicles used range from four and a half to five and a half tonnes.


The roles you will require a C1 licence for


  • Qualified Paramedic
  • Student Paramedic
  • Qualified Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
  • Apprentice Emergency Medical Technician
  • Emergency Care Support Worker (ECSW)
  • Apprentice Emergency Care Support Worker
  • Patient Transport Service contracts may also require a C1 licence.


The East of England Ambulance Service Trust website has more information in regards to the C1 provisional license, a C1 licence and any C1 reimbursements that may be available.


** Applying for a provision C1 licence includes various steps including a medical assessment (medical & eyesight test).