Social Care

Social Care

There are over 350 roles in Healthcare alone,
so when considering all roles in Social Care as well,
you will be sure to find the best role for you.

Social care is about providing physical, emotional and social support to help people live their lives. For various reasons and at different stages in their lives, some people need support to develop and maintain their independence, dignity and control. People who work in social care provide a range of services to support adults and older people. 

A career in social care can mean helping people in their own homes, in residential homes or in a number of other places such as day centres or supported housing. 

For more information visit Skills for Care.  

Types of roles available:

+Advocacy Worker

Advocacy workers help secure people’s rights, such as accessing services and ensuring that people are involved in their own care and support planning. They help support individuals to express their views, wishes and choices regarding the services they receive.  

Advocacy workers may: 

  • support people with decisions around housing, disability living allowance, care planning, medical decisions, financial planning and hospital admissions.  
  • explore options to help people make decisions about their own lives 
  • assist people to secure their rights to the help they need 
  • enable people to self-advocate and represent themselves, 
  • represent a person and speaking up on their behalf 
  • help people access services 

Typical entry requirements: 

Employers may look for previous experience of working in a similar role or with vulnerable adults. They will also expect a good level of English skills so complex policies and procedures can be understood.  

You do not need any formal qualifications to enter into an advocacy worker role – many people complete a Level 2 Aware in Independent Advocacy whilst they employed and in the role.  

+Care worker

Care workers support people with social and physical activates as well as basics such as eating and drinking. They also assist with personal care, book and accompany people at appointments, as well as monitoring individual’s conditions by taking their temperature, pulse, respiration and weight, and helping with medication.   

Care workers can work with lots of different people including adults with learning disabilities, physical disabilities, substance misuse issues mental health conditions and older people. They can work in a care home, in people’s own homes or in the community.  

Typical entry requirements: 

Employers may expect qualifications showing good English and maths skills, such as GCSEs in English and maths. A social care qualification can be beneficial in Health and Social Care, but they are not essential.  

They may also look for previous experience working in a similar role or with vulnerable adults.  

+Social Worker

Social workers offer counselling and advocacy to individuals and families, and intervene when vulnerable people need safeguarding. They support lots of people such as: older people, those with physical disabilities, learning disabilities and mental health conditions such as people with depression, anxiety and personality disorders. They typically provide short term support to help people adjust to changes in their lives such as illness, disability or bereavement.  

Typical entry requirements:  

Social workers need a degree in social work which has been approved by Social Work England. They also need to be registered with Social Work England.  

Every university will have different entry requirements, so it is important to check with them directly. Having experience in a social care or health role would be beneficial for a university application.  

+Welfare Rights Officer

Welfare rights officers help people understand their rights and relevant laws and legislation. They can provide support across a range of topics, whilst some choose to specialise in one area such as housing. Their role can involve: 

  • helping people fill in forms 
  • learning about relevant laws and welfare reforms 
  • checking people are claiming all the benefits they can get 
  • working with benefits agencies and other organisations  

Typical entry requirements: 

Employers may expect a qualification or degree in a relevant subject such as community development or social policy.  

For entry level roles, such as a welfare rights administrator or assistant, employers may expect qualifications showing good English and maths skills.  

Where you could work in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough:

To find vacancies in Social Care in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough you can check for any advertisements by clicking here: Find a job in Adult Social Care  

Care organisations might also advertise vacancies on their website or on their social media accounts such as Facebook; local care organisations can be found on the CQC website or NHS Choices.  

Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council also advertise social care roles in the region.