Mental Health

Mental Health

There are over 350 roles in Healthcare alone,
so when considering all roles in Social Care as well,
you will be sure to find the best role for you.

Psychological professionals use the study of psychology to help people with mental health problems. Psychology is the study of how people think and behave. Every role in the psychological professions involves making a difference to someone’s mental well-being, but differ in the people or types of conditions you may work with and the amount of training you need.

As a psychological professional, you could be helping people and their families cope with problems as drug or alcohol addiction, trauma, eating disorders, bereavement or the effects of disability. You may also work with people with health conditions such as cancer, diabetes or cardiovascular disease to help tackle psychological issues linked to their health.

Types of roles available:

+Children's Wellbeing Practitioner

Children and young people’s wellbeing practitioners (CWP) work to increase access to mental health and wellbeing support for children and young people. CWPs provide interventions such as guided self-help and therapeutic activities for children and young people with anxiety, low mood and behavioural difficulties. These interventions are delivered on a one-to-one basis in person, via telephone or internet, or to groups.

Typical entry requirements:

  • You do not need a previous degree qualification to apply for this training programme. However, you will need to demonstrate your ability to study at degree level, and have some experience of working with children and young people to support their mental health.
  • Those with a degree will typically undertake a postgraduate certificate while those without a degree will normally undertake an equivalent undergraduate-level qualification.
  • For both routes, you will need to apply for a position as a trainee CWP in a children and young people’s mental health service to access the training.

+Clinical Psychologist

Clinical psychologists use a wide range of psychological theories and practice, such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), to treat people with conditions that could harm their own or other’s wellbeing, such as depression, easting disorders and addiction.  They use their in-depth knowledge of psychological theories and models to provide expert advice to multidisciplinary teams to assess reasons for patient behaviour and contribute to management plans.

Typical entry requirements:

  • To practice as a clinical psychologise you will need a post-graduate Doctorate in clinical psychology, which includes doing an independent research project.
  • Competition for trainee places on these courses is high and relevant work experience is essential.


Counsellors work with clients experiencing a wide range of emotional and psychological difficulties to help them bring about effective change and enhance their wellbeing. They work with people with mild to moderate mental health issues. You could work with patients with cancer and their families, families with an unplanned pregnancy or help people understand and deal with genetic disorders.

Skills important for this job are being able to listen carefully, being encouraging and being able to challenge when necessary to help clients see things more clearly or in a different way.

Typical entry requirements:

  • You will need a recognised counselling qualification – this may be a diploma, a degree or post-graduate qualification.
  • Health and care employers may require you to be registered on a counselling or psychotherapy register accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
  • For some counselling roles, you may need a clinical/professional qualification, such as being a registered nurse, occupational therapist or social worker.

+High Intensity Therapist

High intensity therapists work in Improving Access to Psychological Therapist (IAPT) services with patients who have complex problems related to depression and anxiety, such as post-traumatic stress disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder.  The role involves using specific therapeutic models to assess a patient and provide treatment programmes. They may also offer specialist advice to other professionals.

Typical entry requirements:

  • Undertaking a trainee post within an Improvement Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service in order to access:
  • A post-graduate diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
  • In addition, you will usually need a BABCP (British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies) recognised qualification – for example, mental health nursing, social work, clinical psychology, occupational therapy or counselling.
  • Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners are eligible to apply for this training once having completed a minimum of two years in their role.

+Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner

Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners (PWPs) work in Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services, using a range of psychological interventions and skills to support individuals with mental health problems such as depression and anxiety. It usually involves short sessions face-to-face, by telephone or through the internet. Their aim is to identify what a person wants to change, assessing if they are a risk to themselves or others and promoting self-help.

Typical entry requirements:

  • To practice as a psychological wellbeing practitioner you will usually need a degree in psychological (or relevant community-based experience trained to degree level) followed by approved training which you will receive as a trainee psychological wellbeing practitioner.
  • All PWPs complete an accredited IAPT training course which typically consists of 45 days of academic work (one day per week) alongside supervised practice, usually over an academic year.

Where you could work in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough:

+Arthur Rank Hospice Charity (ARHC)

Click the link below to find out more:

Current vacancies 

+Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Foundation Trust (CPFT)

Click on the links below to find out more:

Roles page

Latest vacancies

Information on apprenticeships

+Cambridgeshire Community Services

Click the link below to find out more:

Current vacancies 

+Social Care

Click the link below to find out more:

Vacancies in Social Care