Driving Licence

Whether you’re applying to the ambulance service trust as a patient transport service driver, ambulance care assistant, student paramedic or a fully qualified, you will need to have a full, manual driving licence and have a minimum of one year’s driving experience (maximum of three penalty points for minor motoring offences only).  You will also need a C1 licence allowing you to drive larger vehicles.

C1 licence

A C1 licence is a category on your licence that entitles you to drive larger vehicles. In the ambulance service the vehicles used range from four and a half to five and a half tonnes.


The roles you will require a C1 licence for

  • Qualified Paramedic
  • Student Paramedic
  • Qualified Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
  • Apprentice Emergency Medical Technician
  • Emergency Care Support Worker (ECSW)
  • Apprentice Emergency Care Support Worker
  • Patient Transport Service contracts may also require a C1 licence.


The East of England Ambulance Service Trust website has more information in regards to the C1 provisional license, a C1 licence and any C1 reimbursements that may be available.


** Applying for a provision C1 licence includes various steps including a medical assessment (medical & eyesight test).