Entry Requirements

Nursing or Midwifery 

To become a Registered Nurse or Midwife you will need a degree or postgraduate course approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). These will need to be in one of the four branches of nursing – adult, child, learning disability and mental health.   

Each university sets its own entry requirements, so it’s important to check with them directly. In most cases, the results of an interview and other selection processes are taken into account as well as academic qualifications. 

Entry requirements for an undergraduate course are typically: 

  • Five GCSEs (grades A-C), including English language or literature, math’s and science 
  • Two of three A levels, including physics, chemistry or biology/human biology. 

Or equivalent qualifications: 

  • A BTEC, HND or HNC which includes science. 
  • A relevant NVQ. 
  • A science-based access course. 
  • Equivalent Scottish or Irish qualifications. 


Becoming a Heath Care Support Worker or Maternity Support Worker 

Employers will usually expect a good standard of numeracy and literacy and may ask for GCSEs or equivalent. To progress further in your development English and Maths are required and employers will ask you to complete the care certificate.   

They may ask for a qualification in health and social care, nursery nursing or childcare such as CACHE, NNEB, BTEC or NVQ. 

Employers usually ask for experience of working with children and families. This can be either or paid or voluntary work.  

There may be an opportunity to undertake the Level 2 Healthcare Support Worker or Level 3 Senior Healthcare Support Worker Apprenticeship in some organisations in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough such as Cambridgeshire Community Services (CCS) 

It is important to note that within Cambridgeshire and Peterborough different Universities maybe used and this is an example highlighting potential pathways 


**It is important to note that at present Cambridgeshire and Peterborough do not offer Midwifery apprenticeships. ** 


You will need to be a qualified Midwife to join the organisations across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.  


However, you can join the team as a Maternity Support Worker by applying through the organisation latest vacancies pages.